The Linfield Road story begins in July 1860, when Edmund Wilson walked to his newly acquired property on the outskirts of Williamstown in the Barossa Valley. Within a week he had begun the task of establishing the first Linfield Road vineyards with cuttings of Mataro, Shiraz, Carignan and the now very rare Gouais Blanc.
Since Edmund’s first plantings in 1860, five generations of the Wilson family have looked after the family’s vines on the southern edge of Williamstown, with fruit from the vines going to many of the Barossa’s best producers over the years. In 2002, the family began making wine from their property under the Linfield Road label.
Three generations of the family currently live and work on the property, with 92 year old Arnold still out in the vineyard every day in addition to running his early morning kitchen during vintage and opening up the ‘bar’ after a hard day’s work.
Steve Wilson looks after the vineyard, having worked on the property all his life, with Deb Wilson looking after the cellar door and regular events, including the popular Oyster Sunday in October and Vintage Wrap in April of each year.
Their son Daniel now makes the single vineyard wines that are sourced entirely from the 65 acre property. All the wines are made in extremely small batches, with wild ferments now used for all parcels. The red wines are hand-plunged in open fermenters, including a couple of wax lined concrete fermenters and then basket pressed.
The well established vines of Linfield Road are grown on a mixture of soils including red clay, slate and sandy loam over limestone. The property has an elevation of 310 metres, higher than the Barossa Valley floor, leading to cooler nights and later ripening periods, which allow them to produce small batches of handcrafted elegant wines from old vines.
The Wilson family at Linfield Road has been lucky enough to develop a viticulture tradition in the Barossa that now spans one hundred and fifty three vintages, call into the cellar door at Williamstown to taste the results!
Cellar Door: Open 7 Days, 10am – 5pm.