Set amongst the beauty of the Barossa Ranges, Springton was originally known as Black Springs. The earliest European settler, Friedrich Herbig, lived here in a hollowed-out redgum, which still stands in the Springton main street. Herbig, a German migrant, arrived in South Australia in 1855. Desperately poor, he decided to live in the tree, where the first two of his children were born. It was out of these humble beginnings that Herbig went to eventually own more than 400 hectares of land where his 16 children grew up.
Friedensberg or ‘Hill of Peace’ school was built in 1861 on land and with money donated by wealthy businessman George Fife Angas, operating as a school during the weekdays and a church on Sundays. Today it is the site of the Friedensberg Historic German School Museum, giving an insight into the experiences of early settler students.
The lush green pastures in the area have supported dairy farming for many years, and Springton's soil and cool climate are excellent for viticulture. Enjoy a local produce platter at Edenmae's cellar door in the main street, or head out to Peter Seppelt Wines Grand Cru Estate for wood-fired pizza, warm hospitality and an idyllic garden setting.