On December 13th 1837, Colonel William Light camped in the Lyndoch Valley (possibly in the vicinity of the Kies Wines cellar door and Burge Family Winemakers) and made a sketch of the valley which he named Lynedoch Vale.
When the maps from the exploration were drawn up, the intended name for the range was Barrosa Ranges (two r’s and one s). By 1840 the name was misspelt as Barrossa Ranges (with two r’s and two s’s). Later again it was misspelt as Barossa Ranges, the spelling still in use today.
While the incorrect spelling was going on, the ‘e’ was dropped from Lynedoch Vale to become Lyndoch Vale and later Lyndoch Valley. Today Lyndoch, the oldest town in the Barossa, is still a small country town with a population of about 1200 residents and farming properties, where the vineyards that surround the town are the main source of primary production.
There are the usual sporting and community groups who provide the social activity, while several wineries and food outlets combine to offer "the first taste of the Barossa" for visitors travelling to the region via Gawler.