Barossa ham, bacon, lachschinken and other smallgoods from 19th century family recipes.
Graham Linke's ancestors left Silesia in Northern Europe and landed in South Australia in 1838 to build a new life. Each generation worked hard to succeed and in 1928, George & Edgar Linke established Linke's Central Meat Store. It has remained in the family every since. In 1938, Edgar & Alma Linke were the proprietors and in 1978, Graham and his wife Lola took over. They have been serving the Barossa community in the same location ever since.
Graham uses family recipes to cure and smoke traditional Barossa smallgoods in a wood fired smokehouse behind the store. Linke's ham, bacon, mettwurst, lachschinken and other wursts are their highly-sought after speciality, made from traditional family recipes dating back to the 19th century. They also sell fresh meat and poultry.
The small shop, still with long sticks of mettwurst hanging on butcher hooks behind the counter, always has a queue of people waiting to be served. In the weeks before Christmas, the queue becomes a crowd and if a customer hasn't ordered their holiday ham early enough, they may well leave empty-handed.
Linke's Meat Store is open 5Â½ days a week and is closed on public holidays.
Awarded the Barossa Trust Mark for the Linke's Mettwurst